What are New Zealand’s travel rules as border reopens?
New Zealand has introduced a phased reopening of its border, starting on the finish of February.
Except for a quick journey bubble with Australia, the nation has remained closed to worldwide journey as a part of a “zero-Covid” coverage geared toward minimising the unfold of the virus.
The nation shut its borders in March 2020 with the nation’s prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, stating: “We have to do that for the well being of the nation, and our individuals.”
In a speech on Thursday (3 February), Ardern introduced the primary steps within the nation’s gradual reopening.
“With Omicron’s arrival, we pushed that change in border settings out – to present ourselves the prospect to roll out boosters – an opportunity most different nations by no means had,” she mentioned.
“With our group higher protected we should flip to the significance of reconnection. Households and mates have to reunite. Our companies want abilities to develop. Exporters have to journey to make new connections.”
However what does this imply for travellers hoping to go to the Land of the Lengthy White Cloud? Right here’s all the pieces it’s worthwhile to know.
When will New Zealand open to travellers?
British travellers eager to go to New Zealand could have one thing of a wait on their fingers beneath the present schedule.
That is the timeline outlined on 3 February:
- From 11.59pm on 27 February, totally vaccinated New Zealanders in Australia will likely be permitted entry. Moderately than staying at one of many nation’s costly quarantine amenities, referred to as MIQ, they need to self-isolate at house for 10 days. They may even be required to take a number of Covid exams throughout this era.
- From 11.59pm on 13 March – a fortnight later – New Zealanders from different components of the world and their households will likely be allowed to return beneath the identical circumstances. Some expert and significant staff may even be permitted to return, and the working vacation scheme will resume. Ardern mentioned this two-week hole would allow public well being companies to regulate in anticipation of an increase in Covid instances and can permit the border system to “hold scaling up within the most secure manner attainable”.
- From 12 April, non-citizens with visas and as much as 5,000 worldwide college students will likely be allowed to enter.
- By July, vacationers from the UK, US, Australia and different visa-free nations will likely be allowed again in. An actual date has but to be confirmed, however Ardern mentioned there was a “high-likelihood” that the July date could possibly be introduced ahead. She said: “This stage is more likely to start when we have now a lot bigger case numbers than we have now now. For planning, we anticipate this stage will start no later than July. I need to place robust emphasis on this being the newest we anticipate this to start.”
- Lastly, in October 2022, vacationers from the remainder of the world will as soon as extra be permitted entry to New Zealand beneath the present schedule.
What guidelines are at present in place in New Zealand?
New Zealand is working a site visitors gentle system primarily based on an infection charges and perceived threat. It’s at present on ‘crimson’, the best alert degree with essentially the most restrictions.
Passengers on all public transport and home flights in New Zealand are legally required to put on a face masks. To take home flights inside New Zealand, you should both be totally vaccinated or have a detrimental Covid-1 outcome from a take a look at administered not more than 72 hours earlier than your flight.
Face coverings are additionally obligatory in retail settings, though public amenities and shops are open, with limits on capability in place.
Hospitality retailers and gymnasiums can open and weddings can go forward with vaccine passes required and a most of 100 individuals. And not using a vaccine cross, hospitality venues “should stay contactless” and are restricted to 25 individuals.
In line with the Overseas Workplace, social distancing is “beneficial in public locations”.
The New Zealand authorities additionally requires individuals to maintain monitor of their actions and who they’ve seen to assist with contact tracing. The NZ Covid-19 Tracer app is out there to obtain for this objective, with all retailers and companies displaying their QR codes for scanning.
It’s possible you’ll require proof of vaccination for entry into companies and premises in New Zealand.
What’s the present fee of Covid infections and vaccinations in New Zealand?
On Thursday 3 February, 96 per cent of the inhabitants had obtained a primary dose of the vaccine, whereas 94 per cent had obtained a second dose. Seventy per cent of eligible individuals have additionally obtained a booster shot.
New Zealand at present has 1,974 energetic Covid instances.
There have been a complete of 53 Covid-related deaths because the begin of the pandemic.
New Zealand has a inhabitants of just below 5 million.